Mug's Station

Thursday, October 08, 2009

2 versions of Let Go

Most precious thing in life means something you treasure a lot. It is something that you are given and you want to hold on to it. However, if you cannot let go of them, these will become the roadblocks in your life to God. For example, if you hold on to your work too much, you may become a workaholic and forget about the time and space for God to enter into your life.

When I was a kid, I treasure all the new stationary that people have given me. New pencils, erasers, notebook, rulers, pencil box: I have been keeping all these nicely and safely in my little treasure box at the head of my bed. I did not want to use any of those since they were so new! I have another treasure bag of old coins from the Ching dynasty. Slowly, I developed the habit of collecting things, ranging from calendar cards, to lyric sheets. I was so mad once when my collection of lyrics sheets were dissembled for the creation of a class song book!

As I grow older, I treasure my collection of songs a lot more. I have been keeping all the cassette tapes and CDs. I got a lot of CDs when I first moved over to US. Later, I shipped all my favorite cassette tapes all across the Pacific Ocean. When mp3 appeared, I started keeping all those like crazy.

I guess the most precious things in my life are my family, my wisdom and my voice. I know one day, these things will be gone from me, since they are all gifts from God. Regardless how good you are prepared for them to be gone, as a human being, I still cannot control myself from feeling sad and wanting to hold on to them.

This boils down to the question if you can let go if you are asked to. I guess this is one type of let go.

Another type of let go is to give up what you want, but welcome what God has for you. A lot of times, I have a desire or hope or wish for something. And a lot of times, that something will not happen. I guess reactively, you have no choice but let go. Some people could be angry about the fact that they can't get what they want, or just feel frustrated about life. The ability to welcome and appreciate whatever is for them require some effort.

I used to think that having hope is bad, since you can get disappointed if your wish does not come true. So, it may just be better to have no wish or no hope. This way, you can keep a normal heart and avoid the fluctuation in emotion.

Recently, I have changed my perspective around this. When you have hope, you have the motivation to live on and look forward for tomorrow. In the course of hoping your wish to come true, you may be led to and discover new opportunities and new meanings which could change your life. Your original wish or hope may be in vain, but you will be given things to increase your wisdom. The key is: if you can let go of your desire, and appreciate what God has for you.

Life could be miserable if you always drill on stuff that you want and you keep on not getting that. Life is full of hope if you embrace the outcomes of your wish and lead a better life out of it. The latter, of course, requires a lot of grace from God, and it's abundant for you if you dare to take them!

So, stop complaining whatever you cannot get. There are tons of things given to you and it's your choice to embrace them or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home